Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Grandma Talk


Grandma’s been talking about her Mama a lot and remembering how things used to be way back when. A lady she knew since when she lived in Bessemer all those years back called out of the blue today just to say hello. That really got her going. I think she’s getting ready for her trip to California and how different it will be. She sees how different just this part of the world is since when she was a kid, since when race and financial divisions were simply a given. When the rich white people all lived together in their own part of the town and such. Not that every things changed, it just isn’t as socially sanctified anymore.
“mama used to be sewin’ all the time, and I mean all the time. Whenever there was something, like Easter, or Christmas, or whatever when we’d have to have a dress, we’d always tell mama what color we wanted and everything. Shor’nuf when it came time for it we always had new dresses.”
“I mean she was sewin’ all the time. So much it could have been her job, but you know what, we had nicer clothes than most the richer folk did ‘cause mama made ‘em. She would so all day and just about an hour before Daddy’d come home she’d put all her sewing stuff away and put on a starched apron. I don’t know why, if Daddy’s gripe about her sewing or something, but she always put it up.”
We always have a few strips of bacon in the morning and she was remembering how when she was growing up during the depression bacon was a treat. They got one slice a piece if they were lucky!
“Mama always liked to do things for people. She was always helpin’ people.” Now I see where it comes from, plain good people.

Tonight we were eating dinner and Grandma started laughing, “Isn’t it funny the things that make you think of people?” she says and picks up a green bean. Like this bean remind me of Henry. Did you ever know Henry? No I guess not. Henry was Pop’s sister Rebecca’s husband and I sure like Henry fine. He was someone worth knowin’ I’ll give him that.” She was sort of carried away remembering and laughing and talking about Henry and forgot about the bean she was holding. Then she remembered and went on.
“See Henry was strictly, I mean strictly a country boy. We were at Yale I guess and Rebecca and Henry were visiting, probably for some special occasion or something, and I remember at dinner they had beans like this,” holding up a green bean that hasn’t really been cooked, just sort of seared and seasoned, still crunchy like they do. “Henry leans over and says, ‘Mary, I don’t even think the water even got hot!’ He just couldn’t believe they were gonna serve a bean that ain’t been cooked like that!” She had a great laugh and I have to say, I do wish I’d met Henry.

Grandma come sup to me and says “Cole I’m gonna tell you this cuz’ I’ve been thinking about it every time I think about you recently. Do you know the song that goes ‘I get a lonesome feeling when I hear the church bells chime cause wedding bells are breaking up that old gang of mine…’”
Aw Grandma, its not so bad. Think of all the parties we’ve got to get excited about?

No comments:

 

Blog Counter