Monday, August 28, 2006

the funnies




I brought in the paper to Grandma and we sat down to eat a sandwich. It’s Sunday so the paper’s huge.
“Here’s the paper, Grandma.”
“Jiminy gee that’s big,” she says.
I pull out the funnies and read a few while we eat. Grandma starts to talk, “That’s the one thing I always look forward to is the funnies. Ol’ Denise the Menace, he’s my favorite, and I get Family Circus, and I get Blondie, and I even get Pickles sometimes too, old couple gripin’ ‘bout things.”
I was smiling so big and trying not to laugh out right. God grandma is cool, and she’s so pure. I’m so fortunate to have this time to spend with her and learn what I can while I share what I can. It really has been something else. She is still by far the best roommate I’ve ever had.

“How were the funnies?”
“Gooood,” she says with a nod and a smile.
“Which is the one you like to read?” she asks.
“Foxtrot, it’s this one,” I say and point to it for her as she open the funnies back up.
Then sort of talking out loud to herself she says, “Yes, I need to expand my…” and then trails off into reading the strip.

No comments:

 

Blog Counter