Friday, September 29, 2006

visitors



I guess the joke was on me. When I woke up this morning Grandma asked if I had let our visitor in lat night. “Huh?” I asked her.
“When I woke up this mornin’ the cat was inside-“
“Wait- Meadow was inside the house?”
“Sure was, he was runnin’ away from me like he knew where to go too. I saw right quick wasn’t no way I was gonna catch up with him so I proper the door open with that big chair and ‘Shoo! Shoo’d!’ him out. I thought he might be hungry and I didn’t know what was in the fridge, but I found some pasta or somethin’ and put it out there next to the porch for him.”
Well I don’t know how Meadow go tin the house, but I’m sure he did. He’s taken to posting up on the chair on the front porch and the screen door, when you just let it shut by itself, slows down a bit before it actually comes to a close. As much as he’s been out there watching that door open and close I bet Meadow had the timing down no problem. While I was watching the possum Posssum! POSSSUM! scavange for his food Meadow was creeping into the house under the cover of darkness. Smart pussy.
Grandma got a good kick out of it. “I don’t suppose he left a mess anywhere or we’d find it.”
“Good thing he didn’t find the fishbowl!” I joked with her.
“Shoot that’s right!” Grandma exclaimed. “He hadn’t ruined his friendship with me yet, but if he’da gotten at our fish he sure mighta!”
So the good news is the cat and Grandma are still friends, good friends I think. And so are the fish.

*

I also noticed they started cutting the hay today. This’ll be the third and final cutting for the season and it looks like it’s going to be a good one. They fertilized the fields after the last cutting and it’s grown up a lot. What with the rain followed by gorgeous sunny days this past month it’s been ideal for the hay to grow. The weather today couldn’t be better, and if they’re cutting it today it means they’re expecting at least a few days of sun on the way.

*

I’m heading to Atlanta for a Railroad Earth show tonight, then I’ll be back tomorrow, then the roast is on. The pig roast that is…

railroad earth

through this railroad earth
for whatever it’s worth
singin’ songs & stayin’ high

& you know i’ll be
where my heart feels free
& my thoughts are free to fly

oh mama, please don’t make me lie
i need my freedom, need my open sky

in yer socks & shirt & yer bed of dirt
with the midnight moon on high
& you know i’ve been
where the midnight wind
makes the soul & spirit cry

oh mama, please don’t ask me why
i need my freedom
i need my open sky

through this railroad earth
for whatever it’s worth
gettin’ ‘ long & gettin’ by
& you know i miss
every single kiss
as the years go rollin’ by

oh mama, aint it good to be alive
when you’re mountain-top
& feelin’ high

oh mama, aint it good to be alive
when you’re down & rollin’
free to ride

oh mama, please don’t make me lie

No comments:

 

Blog Counter