Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Jesus on the Mainline (tell him what you want to)



I’ve been traveling every direction but east for a while now, bound to make home sometime soon. It’s been hard to find many hot spots so I’ve got some catching up to do on the BLOG. I’ll start here and go from there…

Keller Williams made a swing through Texas and I was lucky enough to catch a few shows, setlists below. Setlists are incomplete because it’s hard to remember to come down out of the sound to write down the song sometimes, but I do my best. My old professor and friend Dr. Barnard came with me to the Gypsy show just so he could see what all the fuss was about, and I must say it’s nice to have a peer in you. The Theremin blew his mind, of course, and I think the telepathic static theory came to light for him.

The questions is, how does he know what’s going on in my head, and who told him?

Keller at the Gypsy Tea Room in Dallas 10/21/05

Set I: Tuning Jam > Welcome to 2003-25 > Vacate > You May Be Right > Chicken Train, Bird Song, Landlord, Novelty Song, No Habla, Pebbles, “I gotta get down”, Black Sheep, Kidney in a Cooler > Drive My Car
Set II: Ricky Don’t Lose that Number > Teenage Wasteland, Mullet Song, new song, Sing For My Dinner, Boob Job > Freeker, Fuel for the Road
Encore: Eyes of the World

Notes: The Gypsy Tea Room is a special venue for Keller seeing as how one of his songs, Kidney in a Cooler, is about one time when he was on his way to play here and his car broke down, she had to deliver the kidney, deep ellum blues etc. So of course there are some expectations for him to do something special with this song each time, so this time, he played the entire song on his new beat-box toy, sitting down, without every touching his guitar. This was truly a first, a fantastic first.
Set two I missed him walk out on stage but the Teenage Wasteland seemed incredibly appropriate to the Dallas crowd. I remember last year he covered “Diamonds on the sole sof her Shoes” which was fitting too. Keller seems to aim for the young and lost crowd because it’s a ripe time to show them the light. Good work buddy, keep it up.
For the encore he polled the crowd, narrowing it down between Nirvana and the grateful Dead, then the dead original stuff vs. stuff they covered, then between Eyes of the World and ‘Till the morning comes, then played Eyes of the World since he’s got trippy ass eyeballs behind him these days. So many layers to peel I know.

Keller at Stubb’s BBQ in Austin 10/22/05

Set 1: tuning jam, In the Middle, Illegal Smile, new song, Bath of Fire > Tribe, “it’s just a shot away”, India > Stayin’ Alive, Kielbasa Sausage, Celebrate Your Youth, Alligator Ally, Vabeeotchee, Gate Crashers Suck, Shakedown Street, Portapotty
Set II: Mighty Quinn, Bob Rules > Big Ass Crater > Bob Rules, Longview, Jellyfish jam > Breathe, Poncho and Lefty, Tumbleweed, Freakshow > The Joker, ninja, Above the Thunder, Instra > St. Stephen > Best Feeling
Encore: Redemption Song

Notes: Stubb’s is an awesome venue as is, outdoors, and the night was beautiful. This show really was terrific with all sorts of covers I’d never heard. He is on point, if anyone has this show please pass it my way.


and always remember, I SEE THE JESUS INSIDE OF YOU!

No comments:

 

Blog Counter