Thursday, December 21, 2006

"one candle for every 90 years"









It was the best 90th birthday bash ever! Brooks and Mollie cooked dinner while Marybeth and I decorated the tree that Jim and I cut down and brought in a few days earlier. Marybeth and I did the best with the decorations and lights we had, which were mighty old and eclectic, and I’m pretty sure we used some of the same lights and ornaments Dad must have used himself at one point. If only the Christmas decorations could talk! He did teach me how to put lights on the Christmas tree after all. We ate soup, then dessert, and then the meat- because when you’re 90 you can do whatever you want! “You’re 90 Grandma! Go crazy!”

I haven’t even been gone a week and I already miss it. Looking at the photo of the cake Mollie made next to the fish I can’t help but think about how those fish got there! The county fair of course! And that makes me think of all the other little stories all the other little things have behind them. The farm is so full because of those little things with little stories. Like the painted protectors of the fish bowl, which are from the Pig Roast when everyone got into arts and crafts. What is Quality? Layers and layers of stories is Quality.

I feel like a ship that’s pulled up anchor and now I’ve managed to landsail all the way out here to California. I left Columbiana and spent the weekend with friends in Dallas, then to El Paso, and then an extra special stop in Scottsdale, AZ to see where Corey gets her character from. I pulled into town yesterday and already all sorts of big news has come. Now’s not the time for that, but Winn arrived today sans luggage thanks to the airlines, and tonight we’re going out to eat with everyone. I’m tending to like the slowed down mellow Christmas approach. Sometimes the holiday’s can be sad, but this year they’ve been turning out alright. It’s a long and a windy road- until we reach the light.

No comments:

 

Blog Counter