Sunday, December 24, 2006

Mahantesh checks in with a stone from India


Mahantesh, my adopted child who lives in India, has sent another letter! What’s truly amazing about this one though is that he sent me a rock from where he lives so I can put it in the middle of the Labyrinth for him like I said I would! Now we are getting somewhere! Cross-global/cultural/generational communication just took another leap. The thing is I don’t know when I’ll be back to the farm next, so I’m going to have to protect it until then. Now my life has meaning. Here is his letter, followed by my response…

My Dear Mr. Suttle,

In your sweet remembrance with greetings and by craving your blessings a letter from your loving child Mahantesh.

I have received 16 photos, letter sent by you. Your letter was read and explained to me by our social worker. First of all I thank you very much for your concern and love towards me and my family.

I am excited to know that you will call tree which is on the farm in Alabama as “Mahantesh’s tree’. Thank you. My love to your grandmother. I felt very sad to know that your grand-father passed away. I pray to God that He may grant peace for his soul.

I felt happy to know that, your older brother Brooks is getting married to a wonderful girl named Mollie. I saw their photo, both look wonderful.

It’s really shocking to know that your grandma live without pop after 64 years. May be God will support as you have constantly with her too.

I am sending a stone along with this letter as per your wish.

I really enjoyed all the pictures sent by you. I like Sunrise very much. All my family members are keeping well. Here rainy season has ended and winter season has started. Today one my friend told a joke to me. It is the funniest thing that had happened today.

My hearty gratitude to all your friends. My special thanks to each of your family members. With Christmas and new year wish I end this letter.

Your loving sponsor child.

Mahantesh.

+

Dear Mahantesh,

Thank you so much for your stone! I am very excited to walk it to the middle of the Labyrinth! It is so neat to think our worlds are a little closer together now.
My family wishes you a very Merry Christmas and a happy new year! This is the first year my brother Brooks is going to be with Mollie’s family for Christmas, so I am spending Christmas with Mom back in California. There is a lot to be thankful for this year.
After my father passed away over four years ago, my mother was very sad. It was hard to lose her husband so early, but she kept a good attitude and never lost her faith. About a year ago my mother’s friends introduced her to a man named Winn and they have been falling in love ever since. When I returned home to California a few days ago my mother told me that Winn has asked her to marry him, and she said yes! I haven’t seen her this happy in years, which makes this Christmas extra special.
This has been a big year for all of us, and now we have two weddings to be excited for!
My uncle recently moved back to the farm in Alabama to help take care of Grandma and start teaching around the area. Now that I know Grandma is taken care of I have made plans to spend the winter working in Park City, UT. Park City is a ski town in the mountains and I have a job working for one of the resorts. I am excited to spend the winter in the snow even though it will be very cold. It is pretty up there and the people are nice.
Thank you for your blessings toward my Grandfather’s soul. He was a good man with a good heart, and he left the world a little bit better than he found it. That is the best life to lead. I am sure he found peace. My Grandmother has been doing well also. I have only been gone from her and the farm for a week, and already I miss her. She is in good hands though, and I will be back to visit her soon.
I’m sending along a few more pictures for you: Grandma celebrated her 90th birthday the day before I left, so we baked her a cake and cooked her dinner. All the leaves have fallen from the trees for the winter and filled up the Labyrinth. I took a picture of the Labyrinth before I blew them out, and then after. I had to get it ready for your stone! We’ve been planting a lot of trees around the farm as well, so there is a picture of my brother doing just that. We also had a picture of the farm taken from the air so you can see the whole thing. This picture is my favorite. The Labyrinth is where the circle is. Lunar and Crescent are Mollie’s cats. I miss them too.
I hope you and your family have a great first of the year. A friend of mine sent me this blessing for Christmas and I want to pass it on to you because you are my friend too. I hope you enjoy it. In my next letter I will send you some pictures of me in the snow.

Best wishes from all of my family to yours,

Cole Suttle

-

Fra Giovanni’s “Letter to a friend” 1513

“I salute you. I am your friend and my love for you goes deep. There is nothing I can give you which you have not got. But there is much, very much, that while I cannot give it, you can take. No heaven can come unless our hearts find rest today. Take heaven! No peace lies in the future which is not hidden in this present little instance. Take peace! The gloom of the world is but a shadow. Behind it, yet within our reach, is joy. Take joy! Life is so full of meaning and purpose, so full of beauty…that you will find earth but cloaks your heaven. Courage them to claim it, that is all!...And so I greet you, with profound esteem and with prayer that for you, now and forever, the day breaks and the shadows flee away.”

No comments:

 

Blog Counter